(Letter sent to the editor of our local newspaper)
To the people who have shared the road with runners and cyclists and have even given encouraging waves – Thank you! Sad to say – you are a minority! This letter is not for you.
I am writing to those who:
- have refused to give a runner or cyclist a little room (even hitting us with your side mirrors!)
- given us nasty looks
- yelled things I will not repeat
- forced me off the road because you were texting and didn’t see me
- wouldn’t share the road even as you left the church parking lot on Sunday
- It does not take any extra effort or take any extra time to scoot over as you pass us on the road.
- From the more “seasoned” runner to those who yell “use the sidewalk” as they pass, running on concrete is harder on our joints than on the road.
- You should be encouraging and thanking us – our being healthy might just make your health insurance a little cheaper!
- Maybe you should join us and get healthy too!